Four hours of course work per week (online). For every hour of course access, students are expected to engage in an at least an additional hour of self-directed learning.
This course introduces students to the philosophy of natural medicine and the concepts of herbal medicine and Rongoā Māori in a New Zealand context. Topics include the concepts of holistic health, well-being, a healthy lifestyle and prevention of disease. Additionally, the principles and goals of herbal medicine will be explored, and a range of herbs and their traditional and modern applications studied.
- Demonstrates an understanding of holistic health and its importance in natural medicine
- Demonstrates an understanding of the Treaty of Waitangi
- Discusses the constraints and limitations of natural medicine within the New Zealand health system
- Learns plant identification in readiness for use with simple health ailments
- Presents work to an appropriate standard and demonstrates academic integrity