Personal Interest Courses
South Pacific College of Natural Medicine offers a limited number of Personal Interest courses for those who are interested in learning more about natural medicine. Students of Personal Interest courses are in the same classes, and study the same course content, as degree students.
If a student would prefer, they can choose (at the start of their study) to attend classes or access course material online without completing any of the assessments.
If a student has chosen to study with assessments, all Bachelor of Natural Medicine assessments and attendance requirements will apply. Personal Interest courses may be suitable for those who have not studied for some time, and who may like to study at an advanced level before committing to enrolling in a 3 – 6-year degree programme.
On occasion, our admissions sub-committee may suggest to prospective students that Personal Interest courses may be a better option. This allows the student an opportunity to experience studying with SPCNM, as outlined above. It also allows academic staff to gauge the student’s academic ability and engagement.
Some students who have taken Personal Interest courses (with assessments), and who have met all entry criteria, have gone on to apply for and/or be accepted into the Bachelor of Natural Medicine.
We must be clear that enrolment in a Personal Interest course does not guarantee entry into the Bachelor of Natural Medicine. If accepted into the degree programme, students will be eligible for Recognition of Prior Learning for successfully completed Personal Interest courses, if assessment and attendance requirements have been met.
The following courses are offered as Personal interest courses, subject to student numbers. Normally, only one course per semester may be taken.
Please note: Personal Interest students are self-funding only, and are not eligible for Studylink or Fees-free assistance.
Semester 1 (February – June)
- Anatomy & Physiology 1 (Level 5)
- Principles & Philosophy of Natural Medicine (Level 5) NB: prerequisite for PPNM is Foundations of Research for students taking assessments
- Foundations of Research (Level 5)
- Herbal Medicine 1 (Level 5)
Semester 2 (July – December)
- Anatomy & Physiology 2 (Level 5) NB: prerequisite Anatomy & Physiology 1
- Rongoā Māori Healing Concepts (Level 6) NB: prerequisite for Rongoā Māori Healing Concepts is Foundations of Research for students taking assessments
- Herbal Medicine 2 (Level 5) NB: prerequisite Herbal Medicine 1
- Biochemistry of Foods (Level 5)
Each course costs $770.00 incl GST.
The College is also intending to introduce short community courses in 2020. Watch this space.