Why Choose Us?
Established in 1967, SPCNM is one of New Zealand’s largest Tertiary Education Organisations offering an NZQA-Approved Degree, Bachelor of Natural Medicine.
Our Academic staff value our students. Students are well supported to maximise their potential and to develop independence.
SPCNM attaches great importance to the welfare of students, offering Student Support Services. Our Pastoral Care team are experienced in dealing with problems faced by Domestic and International students, and are always available to provide support during their studies.
Our Academic Support Programme assists students who are having difficulty with their studies. At the start of the academic year we run workshops on essay writing, study skills, referencing and test preparation. Further need will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Different Study Options
We offer part and full time courses. The BNatMed may be studied part time or full time, on-line or on-campus. Part-time courses follow the same academic calendar, so are clearly structured. There is some provision for students to apply to change their study pathway as they progress through the programme.
Third year, the clinical programme, must be studied on-campus.
SPCNM attracts students from New Zealand and around the world. A multicultural, family-oriented environment provides a stimulating setting where overseas students can meet New Zealanders, leading to close interaction across cultures and development of life-long friendships and personal networks.
Academic Staff & Research
Our lecturers are leaders in their disciplines, active in research, and well-published in fields relevant to their courses. Class sizes maximise learning opportunities and the personal contact that students have with their Lecturers.
Upon successfully completing the degree graduates can embark on a variety of rewarding careers;
- Naturopathic practitioner in private practices
- Working within an integrated medical practice
- Corporate or company naturopathy
- Professional advisor to a health product company
- Consultant to a health shop or pharmacy
- Teaching or community education
SPCNM through its final year provides assistance to students on all employment issues.
Our programmes are market and industry driven. Our lecture rooms are sponsored by suppliers of Natural Medicine products. Practitioners participate in our advisory committees to ensure programmes are up to date.
- Purpose-built premises in NZ for teaching natural medicine
- On-campus Paua Clinic and dispensary
- On-campus herb garden
- A well-stocked library with access to computers, electronic databases, study space and wireless internet access. Our library hosts the best collection of CAM (Complimentary and Alternative Medicine) databases in New Zealand
- Cheal Cottage – our student common room – which has a kitchen, study rooms with computers and wireless internet access.